Laraine Callow (Deaf), Director of Deafworks, has worked in both education and the voluntary sector, as well as involvement with national and local deaf organisations. She also works extensively within the commercial and the arts fields on deaf issues and deaf access. Additionally Deafworks works with legal services on issues around deaf children and education, and deaf adults and employment.
Forensic Lipreading Experience
- Lifelong lipreader from 1951 to present day
- Forensic lipreader in the legal setting since 2002
- Preparation of lipreading reports for the courts since 2002
- A registered Expert Witness
- Trainer of new forensic lipreaders with University of London (DCAL) 2008
Current forensic and lipreading work
- Government-sponsored research into viability of speechreading skills
- Consultant to television channel on lipreading and body language observations
- 19 cases using forensic lipreading skills in the last five years
Note: speechreading and lipreading are terms used interchangeably.
A satisfied customer:
“I had the privilege of being trained by Laraine Callow of Deafworks for Forensics Lip/Speech Reading. Laraine provides the most accessible and comprehensive training – Deafworks are probably one of the best providers in the UK.”
Also have a look at…
All have useful information about speechreading and also how to train as a forensic lipreader. Good luck!